Town Board Meeting Minutes
16607 Burlington Road Union Grove, WI 53182
July 23th, 2019 7:00 pm
- Call to Order: 7:00 pm
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Roll Call: John Holloway, Ron Buttke, and Ken Monson
- Ken made a motion to approve the TBM from June 25th,2019 with corrections. Second by Ron. Passed 3-0.
- Treasurer’s Report: Ken made a motion to approve the June 25th,2019 treasurer and acknowledge the bill that were paid from June 26, 2019 to July 22,2019. Second by Ron. Passed 3-0.
- Citizen Comments
Erin Pugh, 14505 first street, she took picture of the vegetation on 144th Ave. The trees are hanging down over the road between Fliess and Schmeckels north of Highway A on the west side. She also requested the brush be cut on 144th ave on the west side of the road near her house.
- Supervisor’s Comments
Ken talked to Chris from Kenosha County about HWY MB and E about over-grown vegetation. 144th Ave is having the culvert replaced and brush cleared. He is working on proposals for Hwy KR Bridge.
Ron said the Hwy KR is open to threw traffic; they still are working on the road. At truck feast at the drag strip the loud music traveled to southern residents’ houses. Ron received many complaints. He talked with Randy who closed down the music.
John talked with Somers/ Paris corridor commission to set up a meeting after August 5th to discuss when they will be wanting to draw on their loan. Sheriff Beth will be getting Town Board a report on what is going on in Paris with reference to police calls. John is going over the Ag. Impact plan for the gas pipeline. A special meeting will be needed in August to open bids.
- Fire & Rescue: Chief Roland Iwen
Roland provided a list of calls for the month. The emergency exit at the drag strip need to be wider and remove limbs. September 28th is the county fire prevention week at the Walmart. The fire and Rescue will be helping out at the Kenosha County Fair in August. The old tanker is on Auctiontime website to be sold. On 9/11 Somers will be holding an active shooter training. Burn permits need to be called for 24 hours in advance.
- Planning Commission: Jeff Badtke
Thursday five planning commission members went to a workshop in Whitewater. Jeff got one call about a sub-divisions on 178th ave. Yorkville would like to work with Paris on a drainage plan in September.
- Town Business:
- Kenosha County District Attorney Michael Graveley addressed the Town Board of what his office is doing in our county about the opioid crisis and about the law enforcement response to school threats. DA Graveley shared that 45 deaths a year in Kenosha County are from drugs and 100 lives are saved from drug over-doses in a year in Kenosha County. Home burglaries and robbers are impacted because of the drug crisis. The DA is trying to use treatment instead of criminal records to encourage people to get help.
Last year Kenosha had 25 cases of school threats. They are working on universal train on ways of dealing with school threats.
Currently there is no counseling for domestic abuse west of the interstate. The DA is working with counseling group to have meeting in Trevor and in Salem.
If you want to fight a traffic ticket, you can now go to the County Building on Hwy 45 twice a month on Friday.
There is a Care Center on 60th and 13th– it is a detox location that a person can stay at 7 to 10 days, but does not have counseling.
Town Business: Discussion and Possible action on the following:
- Ken has an issue with the substation on 172nd dumping of waste water.
Ken made a motion to table this ordinance for further discussion. Second by Ron.
Ken was concerned that no one at We Energies has answered questions, and he is not willing to move forward until questions are answered.
John talked with the site manager who said all water run-off is naturally occurring not discharge.
We Energies shared that they have a permit to discharge water from the DNR. The water then goes into the Town’s ditch.
We Energies said that on average 34,000 gallon of water are discharge per day, but could be as much as 390,000 gallons. The discharge water goes into a holding pond then to the ditch.
Water is being constantly discharged every day.
Ken said they need the property, for phosphorus loading, hold their feet to the fire until The Town gets answers.
John, Ken, and Ron did not what to hold the Fords deal from being completed, but all agreed the Town needs to get action from We Energies.
Jeff commented that the Town could refuse to sign the CSM until We Energies answers our questions.
Ken removed his motion to table this ordinance. Ron removed his second.
Ken made a motion to approve Ordinance # 2019-1 with regard to a petition from Bruce H Ford III & Barbara K Ford, 5626 172nd Ave., Bristol WI 53104-9749 (Owner), We Energies – Attn: William Burki, 333 W. Everett St., A252, Milwaukee, WI 53203 (Agent), requests an amendment to the Adopted Land Use Plan map for Kenosha County: 2035 (map 65 of the comprehensive plan) from “Farmland Protection” & “Secondary Environmental Corridor” to “Farmland Protection”, “Secondary Environmental Corridor” & “Rural-Density Residential” on Tax Parcel #45-4-221-333-0400, located in the SW ¼ of Section 33, T2N, R21E, Town of Paris. Second by Ron. Passed with a roll call vote John, Ron, and Ken said aye.
- Ken made a motion to approve the petition from Bruce H Ford III & Barbara K Ford, 5626 172nd Ave., Bristol WI 53104-9749 (Owner), We Energies – Attn: William Burki, 333 W. Everett St., A252, Milwaukee, WI 53203 (Agent), requesting a rezoning from A-1Agricultural Preservation Dist. & C-1 Lowland Resource Conservancy Dist. to A- 1 Agricultural Preservation Dist., C-1 Lowland Resource Conservancy Dist. And R-1 Rural Residential Dist. on Tax Parcel #45-4-221-333-0400, located in the SW 1/4 of Section 33, T2N, R21E, Town of Paris subject to the staff recommendation by Foth. Second by Ron. Passed 3-0.
- Ken made a motion to approve the petition from Bruce H Ford III & Barbara K Ford, 5626 172nd Ave., Bristol WI 53104-9749 (Owner), We Energies – Attn: William Burki, 333 W. Everett St., A252, Milwaukee, WI 53203 (Agent), requesting a Certified Survey Map on Tax Parcel #45-4-221-333-0400, located in the SW 1/4 of Section 33, T2N, R21E, Town of Paris Subject to a Memorandum of Understanding to the Town Board will not sign off on CSM until We Energies and the Town of Paris lay out a plan of action to address water discharge problem created by WE Energies on 172nd at the substation. Second by Ron. Passed 3-0.
- Consideration of the recommendation to the Town Board with regard to proposed setting Fees/Cost Sharing Requirements for proposed Land Divisions. Discussion of all fees under agenda item (F)
- Consideration of the recommendation to the Town Board of a Professional Fee Reimbursement Agreement.
Ken would like to see a on time pass for residents with no fees for family members to divide a parcel.
The fees being discussed are at or below what other municipalities have. Paris does not need to use fees to generate revenue. For culverts, Don goes looks at the site a give a permit; it does not cost $250.00. Don does not feel comfortable making the decision on whether an engineer is needed for the culvert or not. Ken said that maybe Kenosha County could be hired to give out Culvert permits.
- 172nd Ave repair projects updates:
The DNR wanted a wetland Delineation from Foth. Foth need the brush left for the delineation; now they want it gone so they have clear site lines. John will do a write-up for bids for the next meeting.
- Authorization for posting of a request for bids for the de-brushing of the east ROW for the Town portion of 172nd Ave. John will do a write-up for bids for the next meeting.
- Consideration of need for Town oversight and engineering for a proposed storm water pond for Uline on a parcel in the Kenosha Growth Area, located east of the west frontage road, south of Hwy 142. Uline is looking for permission to put a pond on a parcel in Paris. The city has not annexed this parcel, and it would take to long to get permission form the City to put the pond in. Ken and Ron agreed that Paris should not get involved unless they take it.
- Update on proposed solar farm project:
John met with Dan Lilchfield who has hired Mark Crowl. They are pulling back on the solar project; they are not willing to set a date for the project to start. They are still interested in moving forward with the project. They are starting archeological studies on un-planted fields.
- Sexual Offender Residences:
Letters have been sent out to sex offenders living in Paris to inform them of the ordinances. Ken would like the appeal hearing to be on the same day as a Town Board meeting; not a special meeting.
- Mileage policy for town officials:
Don is given extra money in his pay that covers his mileage and should not be included in the mileage policy.
- Future Meeting Dates: Town Board Meeting: August 27, 2019 and September 24, 2019
- Ken made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:53. Second by Ron. Passed 3-0.